Cake in a mug, could life get any better?
When this concept first came to my attention many years ago, I was so amazed that one of the best desserts could be made in miniature in a matter of minutes with only a few ingredients!
There was a time when I would have nothing but mugcake for supper, safe to say it was a little bit of an obsession! But that was back in the day when I really had no clue about how important it is to keep a healthy balance of all the food groups in my life. Looking back, those ‘mugcakes’ couldn’t pass for anything like a cake as their texture was dry and almost flavourless because of the lack of ingredients I tried to eliminate!
Thankfully since then, I have learnt a great deal about my body and the nourishment it needs to thrive.
Discovering companies such as Motion Nutrition have helped me to understand more about nutritional basics in a more sustainable way. As I mentioned in my post for my blueberry breakfast smoothie bowl Motion Nutrition has such a wonderful ethos for not only providing either customers with high-quality products but to source them with conscious thought to their environmental impact.
I have tried and tested many different ways to get the perfect mugcake every time. There seems to be some end in sight as I do think that my latest recipe has been a complete success and won over my family’s tastebuds too (always the best seal of approval in my eyes).
Using Motion Nutrition’s Chocolate Spice I have created a pudding for the evening to end your day in a delicious way. This protein powder has been created especially for the evening to help the body and mind relax and unwind. It’s sweetness of soothing chamomile, creamy cacao and warming spices make this protein powder great for aiding recovery overnight. Which is why it had to feature in this recipe!
- 1 tbsp GF self-raising flour
- 1 tbsp chocolate spice vegan protein powder*
- 3 1/2 tbsp soya milk
- 1 tbsp peanut butter
- 1 tsp cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
*Any chocolate protein powder is fine but add an addition of 1/3 tsp cinnamon for a little bit of spice
- Begin by smoothing some melted coconut oil on the inside of a mug, making sure to cover the bottom.
- Add the flour, protein powder, cocoa and baking powder into a mug. If you have a small hand sized sieve available then please do use it for all these dry ingredients!
- Next, add in the soya milk and peanut butter and gently stir to form a thick creamy texture.
- Place your mug into a microwave and set it to a medium to high heat (if that option is available!) and cook for 1-2 minutes. I check around 1 1/2 minutes in to see how the mug is doing as sometimes they can ‘bake’ faster!
- Once it is done, remove from the microwave an allow to rest for 1 minute before eating or trying to remove it from the mug!
- Add any toppings that you desire. My personal favourites are dairy-free chocolate ice-cream or whipped cream!
It’s as easy as that! If you give this recipe a go I would love to see your creations, so please tag me in your posts on Instagram (@thegrowingbutterfly) or pop a comment below and let me know what you think.