Easter is a celebration of new beginnings, and whether you celebrate it for religious reason or not, as we approach Easter weekend I wanted to shine a light on how change can bring us wonderful opportunities to start anew, to see things with a fresh perspective, and to encourage us to grow into the person we have always meant to be.
A signature part of this celebration is the food that comes with it, and personally speaking I love taking full advantage of this opportunity by making carrot cake flavoured recipes such as my carrot cake cupcakes. But also, I love having it for breakfast, yes that is right, I have cake for breakfast and not afraid to share it!
Okay, so it’s not technically cake (although I would never turn it down!) but the flavours in my take on carrot cake porridge resemble the classic baked dessert. This recipe is gluten-free and plant-based for my own preferences, though as with everything else I create, you can adapt the ingredients to suit your own dietary requirements – am good like that!
- 60g gluten-free oats
- 200-250ml plant-based milk
- 1/2 grated carrot
- 10-15g raisins
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 nutmeg
- Begin by adding the oats, grated carrot, cinnamon, and nutmeg into a saucepan
- Gently pour over the milk and stir the ingredients together
- Next, place the saucepan on a hob over a low-medium heat
- Now add in the maple syrup and raisin and stir in until they are combined into the mixture.
- Continue to gently stir intimately for a minute or two, though the timing is a personal preference to get the desired consistency – the longer you leave the porridge on the hob, the thicker the texture!
- Serve straight away, add any toppings of your choosing, and enjoy!
If you enjoyed this carrot cake porridge recipe then I would love to hear from you! Please feel free to share photos on social media and tag me in them @thegrowingbutterfly
Happy Easter Everyone!