This recipe feels like a long time in the making as it has been in the process of being finalised since I first started adopting more of a plant-based lifestyle back in November last year!
However the time has arrived where I am able to share with you my Eastern Spiced Chickpeas. These are perfect to go with all sorts of accompanying ingredients to make a delicious meal or they are even ideal to be enjoyed on their own.
- 300g chickpeas
- 1 tbsp tomato puree
- 1 small onion
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 3 tbsp water
- 1 tsp gram masala
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1/2 paprika
- black pepper and salt to season
- Drain and rinse the chickpeas with water before adding into a suitably sized saucepan.
- Finely chop an onion and add to the pan along with the olive oil.
- Turn the hob on to a medium heat, stir and cook for around a minute or so for the onions to start softening.
- Next stir in the tomato puree, gram masala, turmeric, paprika and water
- Turn the heat down to a low heat and allow to simmer for around 5 minutes, making sure to stir at intervals – if the mixture starts to look dry add a further tablespoon of water.
- Remove from the heat, then season with salt and pepper to your liking.
- Serve straight away or save until the chickpeas have cooled down and enjoy!
I would love to hear what you have to think about this recipe, so please drop me a comment on social media @thegrowingbutterfly or tag me in any of your posts capturing your very own creations. Don’t forget to use the hashtag #thegrowingbutterfly