A conscious decision I made towards the beginning of this year, was to find more variety when it comes to my food choices. It is so easy to stick with what you know you like and what is easiest to make at short notice or when you have limited time. But food is so much more than pure convenience. It is a wonderful experience packed with flavours, smells and textures that come together in recipes.
That ultimate comforting feeling you get from being so satisfied with something you have taking the time out to enjoy should be felt more often in everyone’s lives. But we need to make that conscious choice to switch things up, be creative and get cooking in the kitchen!
So this is one of my new breakfast twists that I wanted to share with you all; Chocolate quinoa porridge. Yes, there is such thing a quinoa porridge, and I can confirm it does taste as amazing as it looks here!
Quinoa is an incredible wheat-free alternative that is loaded with fantastic nutrients for the body like calcium and omega-3 fatty acids, as well as being a complete protein containing essential amino acids. A little fun fact to know is that it is in the same family as spinach, chard, and beets! Quinoa is a slow-digesting carbohydrate just like oats but with a little more of a grainer texture to it once cooked.
If you follow me on Instagram, you will certainly know how obsessed I am with zoats (oats & milk with courgette grated into it). They are my go-to breakfast more than I care to mention, but it is because I love the taste so much that I do keep going back for more. But, “variety is the spice of life” so they say, which is where this new recipe will come in handy over the colder months and beyond.
Makes 2 servings
- 80g quinoa
- One banana
- 20g cocoa powder
- 200ml milk of choice
- 10g honey or maple syrup
- Toppings of your choosing*
- Begin by cooking your quinoa in a pan on a medium heat in boiling water for around 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, mash up the banana in a bowl and put to one side.
- Once your quinoa is done, drain off excess water and leave in your saucepan.
- Turn the hob onto a low heat, and add in the banana, cocoa powder, and milk stirring gently.
- Next, add your honey/maple syrup and again stir in until fully combined
- Continue to cook for a further minute or two, making sure to stir at intervals.
- Remove from the heat and pour out a serving into a bowl
- Add toppings if desired.
- Serve straight away or leave to cool and enjoy as a snack later (it goes thicker and gooey this way!)
*Depending on your tastes buds the toppings can be pretty much anything you like! To make this a totally different style to my normal bowl of porridge, I add a lot more crunch to it adding nuts and seeds along with the standard fruit accompaniments.
If you make this delicious porridge alternative please let me know what you think by sharing your foodie posts over on social media. Remember to tag me in the photo and use the hashtag #thegrowingbutterfly so I can see your creations!