Now that the winter months have drawn in, we all turn to seeking comforting food to warm up our heart and soul. I for one, love this season’s choices as they are filled with beautiful blends of spices that compliment those colder nights.
To kick off a selection of recipes this December, I have created a lovely warming winter salad that captures the taste of the season. What makes this extra special is that it keeps you a having delicious nutritional meal throughout the winter – a brucie bonus when you know that chocolate tin has yet to be broken into!
- 80g Butternut Squash
- 50g quinoa
- 1/2 red onion
- 10g pomegranate
- Handful of Kale
- 50ml orange juice
- 1 tbsp virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- pinch of Himalayan salt
- Begin by cooking the quinoa, in a saucepan with water. On a medium heat, cook for 15-2o minutes until the quinoa doubles in size.
- In the mean time, prepare remaining ingredients ready for frying.
- Once your quinoa is done, drain and remove from the hob.
- Add 1/2 tbsp of the oil to a frying pan on a medium hear, and then put in the onion, stirring until they go soft.
- Now add in butternut squash, seasoning with the paprika, black pepper, and Himalayan salt. Continually stir until butternut becomes softer.
- Next add in the quinoa, turning down the heat to low, gently stirring the ingredients together for around 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat.
- Using the remaining olive oil and orange juice, the two together, to create a dressing
- Pour over the dressing and stir in gently
- Serve straight away, sprinkling the pomegranates over the top.
Look out for more festive recipes to come to ‘The Growing Butterfly’ this year, as there are a few new tweaks to some of my earlier recipes as well as brand new additions to the ever growing collection!
Don’t forget to tag me in on any social media posts if you give this bowl of goodness ago, and use the hashtag #thegrowingbutterfly
Would love to know what your childhood favourite winter warmers are as well. Let me know in the comments below – you never know what I could create for you next!