After scrolling through my Pinterest feed, searching for some inspiration for some seasonal bakes and easy makes, I stumbled across some little pumpkins made from rice crispies. Since university has been a priority, time is everything when it comes to creating things for my blog, so I was thrilled that I could come up with these simple yet tasty bite sized treats. Ideal for parties, or sharing with family and friends for Halloween!
These ‘Crispy Little Pumpkins’ are rather versatile when it comes the flavours you can create with them. It is first of all down to the choice of marshmallow you use to mould the puffed rice into cute pumpkins. Be sure to opt for one brand of marshmallows when making these because mixing different kinds will not only mix flavours but also turn your marshmallows brown when melting! – and no one wants to see brown mush.
Also be creative with the extracts you add in. I went for very autumnal and true to colour, and added orange extract and a pinch of cinnamon but you could really shock people by adding coconut extract or squeeze some lemon in there!
Makes 12 pumpkins
- 100g plain puffed rice
- 80g marshmallows
- 10g coconut oil
- 1 tsp orange extract
- 1 tsp yellow food colouring
- 1/2 red food colouring
- 1 chocolate flake
- 2 green soft and chewy sweets
- Start by filling a saucepan half way with water and place on a low heat.
- Oil a bowl to stop your marshmallow sticking to the sides.
- Place marshmallows in the bowl over the saucepan of hot water.
- Now add in one tablespoon of water so that the marshmallows don’t start to dry up.
- Stir gently until they have started to melt.
- Once melted add in remaining coconut oil, extract and food colourings.
- After coconut oil is fully melted in the mixture, remove from heat.
- Leave the mix to cool slightly whilst you chop your flake up into small ‘storks’ and the green sweets into ‘leaves’.
- After 5 minutes place the mixture into 12 cupcake cases in a tray.
- Whilst the mixture is still warm and mouldable, add the ‘storks’ and a ‘leaf’ to each one.
- Place in the fridge for at least 1 hour to set.
Would love to hear if you created these for yourself – tag me on social media and use the #growingbutterfly or leave a comment below.
Hope you all have a SPOOK-tacular Halloween!