Full of rich flavour and an unbelievably creamy texture, the risotto is a traditional Italian recipe that brings so much comfort. It is such a versatile dish that I have been able to create an alternative twist to the classic in order to adapt to a more plant-based lifestyle.
This Aubergine & Courgette Risotto is heart-warming and packed full of wonderful nutrients that our bodies will most certainly need in the colder months! It may take a little while to cook but trust me this one is certainly worth the wait!
For the meat-eaters out there, feel free to add in some chorizo, chicken or prawns – I would not be offended at all as everyone is entitled to make their own choices.
- 120-160g arborio rice
- 1 tin of diced Italian tomatoes
- 2 tbsp tomato puree
- 1/2 chopped courgette
- 1/2 aubergine
- Two cloves of garlic
- 1 tbsp oregano
- A handful of fresh parsley
- 1 large chopped red onion
- 600ml vegetable stock
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- Parmesan cheese & black pepper based on preference
- Begin by separating the tomato juice from the chopped tomatoes and put tomatoes to on side.
- Make vegetable stock, then take 100ml of the stock and add to tomato juice.
- Cook off the onion in coconut oil in a large pan, over a medium heat until soft.
- Next, pour this liquid mixture into the pan stirring gently for two minutes.
- Stir in garlic, parsley, and oregano and continue to stir for another minute.
- Now add in rice, turn down the heat making sure that all ingredients are combined.
- Add in tomatoes and chopped courgette, along with another 100ml stock until liquid is absorbed.
- Keep adding in 100ml at a time, waiting for it to absorb, until you have no more left (This should take around 20-30 minutes)
- Test the rice for how well cooked it is – should be al dente
- Take off heat and serve with parmesan and black pepper if desired
As always, if you give this recipe a try, please let me know what you think. Also, remember to tag me in any social media posts and use the hashtag #thegrowingbutterfly so that I get to see your creations!