At this years Body Power expo, I had the pleasure of meeting the amazing Macro Mitch and his fiancé Shirin, who have both become vegans in the past year or so. I do know very little about this way of living but can appreciate its principles. But having spoken to Mitch who was once a ‘meat head’ like most of us, I have been inspired by him to give Meat Free Mondays a go!
Though you won’t catch me going completely vegan (no offence to anyone who is!) but I do believe that we could all benefit from swapping a couple of meaty meals a week for a plant-based alternative.
Take yourself to amber sands, with a vibrant culture and have yourself an Indian Summer with my Butternut Squash & Chickpea Curry. This recipe has given me the opportunity to become even more creative in the kitchen as you have to work on getting taste, texture and overall satisfaction from natural plant-based ingredients. I really do enjoy experimenting with new ways of cooking, so I am really pleased with how my first creation has turned out.
- 1 whole can of chickpeas
- 80g butternut squash
- 1/2 can chopped tomatoes
- 200ml passata
- 1/2 chopped red onion
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 1/4 tsp cumin
- 1/4 tsp turmeric
- 1/4 tsp ginger
- 2 tbsp soya yoghurt
- handful freshly chopped coriander
- 1 1/2 tsp coconut oil
- Black pepper to taste
- In a large saucepan fry off the onion in coconut oil on a medium heat until soft.
- Now chop butternut squash into bite-size cubes and add to pan.
- Drain and wash chickpeas in a sieve then add to the saucepan, turning the heat to low.
- Pour in chopped tomatoes and passata and stir gently.
- Now add in all of the spices combining well.
- Leave to simmer for around 30-40 minutes, checking and stirring regularly.
- Turn off the heat, mixing in the yoghurt and coriander until the colour turns to a burnt orange.
- Serve with brown basmati rice and enjoy
What are your thoughts on ‘Meat Free Monday’? Are you too much of a meat lover to make the swap? I would love to find out what others think about this topic, so please let me know!
Remember if you use this or any of my recipes please tag me in any social media posts using #thegrowingbutterfly as it would be wonderful to see you creating and loving my recipes.