Every time I think of Chinese rice, my thoughts and taste buds go straight to this style of rice. There is so much to love about it especially how much flavour is involved, yet so little ingredients.
This is a wonderful side dish or main for any time of year, but since it is the beginning of Year of the Monkey, it would be silly not to treat yourself!
My special egg ‘fried’ rice allows you to enjoy this well-loved cuisine as part of your healthy balanced intake. Super easy and quick to make, so not really many reasons not to give it a go and thank me later!
- 75g brown rice
- 1 whole egg
- 1/2 red onion
- 1 tsp garlic
- 80g peas -thawed from frozen
- 1 tsp coconut oil
- Start by boiling the rice for around 20-30 minutes on a medium heat. You could alternatively use microwavable rice but I do prefer to make it fresh!
- Next, take a large frying pan and add in coconut oil on a low heat
- Whilst waiting for the oil to melt finely chop onions and add to pan stirring in.
- Now add in garlic and continue to stir turn up the heat to medium
- Add in peas and rice together making sure that they are well mixed in, then leave to cook for 1 minute.
- In the meantime, crack the egg in a small cup and whisk
- Turn down to a low heat, make a small well in the rice, pouring the egg into the center and fold over the rice so that all of the pan is covered
- Continue to stir in until egg is thoroughly cooked
I added some chicken breast to up the protein and make a larger meal of this dish, but it can simply accompany any other Chinese main you love!
Hope you celebrate Chinese New Year by cooking yourself one of my dishes! Please tag me in any posts and use the hashtag #thegrowingbutterfly over on social media.